Pedestrian Hit and Killed by Tractor Trailer on Thruway | News
LANCASTER, NY - A woman was hit and killed by a tractor trailer Tuesday night after Troopers say she walked out into the eastbound lanes of the Thruway.
The accident happened around 8 p.m. just past the Depew/Lancaster exit (exit 49).
State Police say the 43-year-old female had been involved in an accident about two hours earlier and left her vehicle, which was off on the shoulder. At some point she returned and for some reason walked out into the roadway where she was struck.
She was pronounced dead at the scene. Her name isn't being released pending family notification.
An autopsy is scheduled for this morning.
The road was closed for five hours while accident investigators reconstructed the scene.
According to Troopers, the same woman was involved in a single-vehicle accident just after 6:30 p.m. Both State Police and Lancaster Police responded to the scene and located the vehicle. The driver left the scene, and police attempted to locate her.
The accident is still under investigation.
Anyone who may have witnessed the incident is asked to contact State Police investigators in Clarence, (716) 759-8638.
Upcoming Events near Lancaster
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- I'm purchasing a new laptop. Should I also purchase an extended warranty to go along with it?
- I just learned that my credit- and debit-card information was part of a data breach.
- What Is the Federal Reserve and What Does It Do?
- 10 Basic Tax To-Dos for the Rest of 2014
- Quiz: How Much Do You Know about Social Security?