Driver in Fatal DWI Accident Sentenced to Prison | News
BUFFALO, N.Y. -- The driver in the DWI crash that killed Bryce Buchholz, 14, will spend the next 1 to 3 years behind bars.
Michael Ettipio, 24, was sentenced to one to three years in state prison and his license was revoked for one-year.
- Watch what happened during Michael Ettipio's sentencing in court.
- Learn more about plans to create a BMX skate park in memory of Bryce Buchholz.
- Attorney Michael Taheri analyzes the sentence.
In June, Ettipio pleaded guilty to vehicular manslaughter. He was also charged with driving while intoxicated.
Ettipio could have been sentenced up to 15 years in prison.
2 On Your Side's Pete Gallivan was in court during the sentencing. He said Ettipio addressed the court saying "Never in a million years did I think I could cause so much pain". At the end of his statement, Etipio turned to the Buchholz family and tearfully apologized to them before his sentence was handed down.
Buchholz was riding his bike along Lake Avenue in Lancaster last May when he was hit and killed.
Witnesses told police Ettipio had been drinking prior to the crash.
He left the scene, and a man who witnessed the crash followed Ettipio to his home then drove him back to the site so Ettipio could turn himself into police.
Upcoming Events near Lancaster
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Mary Queen of Angels Students to Present Christmas Play
- A MESSAGE FROM COUNTY CLERK JACOBS: A HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON IS A SAFE HOLIDAY SEASON
- Accident Caused Major Back-Up on Route 33
- MQA Students Paint Water-themed Mural for National Contest
- Treat Your Pups to Something Special, and Help a Local Rescue Shelter